Metal Detectors I Currently Use, page 11
XP Deus - My Review & Practical Tips
(...CONTINUED from Previous Page)
Learning curve for the Deus may be steep if you fail to do the following:
1) Read, reread and reread the Instruction Manual as many times as necessary to understand and memorize all settings and modes, and how they interact with one another. Of course, the latter could be accomplished only through actual experimentation under real conditions in the field.
The Deus' instruction manual is not an easy read even for an experienced detectorist not because it is written in inadequate terminology and missing important points, but also because some Deus' features can not be associated with similar features of other metal detectors that you have previously used and learnt very well. In other words, start learning the Deus' settings from the scratch. Same goes for sound patterns of the Deus' responses to both good and bad "questionable" signals.
2) Conduct an Air Test with desirable targets that you are going to seek and write down their VDI (Visual Display Indication) numbers, so that you can properly set up the tonal zones on the Discrimination scale. It is also important to choose tone pitches that are the most comfortable for your hearing, assign them to certain conductivity ranges (tonal zones), and keep these tone pitches unchanged. This way, you will get used to the tones and train your ears to the sound characteristics of target responses faster.
3) In the beginning, dig up most of detected targets to learn your Deus' "slanguage". Only after you attain the basic knowledge of detector's audio responses to common targets in your search area, you may start experimenting with programmable settings. To complete this learning part fast, use one of the Deus' factory-preset programs - the one which is suitable for the targets you intend to search for.
For example, to find a tiny hammered coin (like the one shown on a picture to the right), assuming that your search area contains them, the program 3 - "DEUS FAST", should be implemented, or, at least, used as a basis for your own appropriate search program. The "DEUS FAST" program would be the most appropriate because it utilizes the high 18 kHz operating frequency which makes the Deus extremely sensitive to targets that are as small as 3mm in size.
For those who had previously used the XP GMaxx or GoldMaxx Power metal detectors, the Deus' has "G-MAXX" and "GMPOWER" factory-preset search programs along with seven (!) more factory-preset programs - to help a beginner start detecting and find coins under various detecting conditions fast and easy. One of the useful learning techniques is the Program Fast Switching which will be explained in my article "Fast Switch Between Deus' Search Programs".
4) Make it your habit to experiment with settings and adjust them according to metal detecting conditions at every hunt site you visit. This is essential for the Deus' optimal performance and, therefore, your own success. The Deus has all necessary features for fine-tuning it under any metal detecting conditions!
I have tested the Deus at the "searched-out" site and side by side with a few popular and capable metal detectors. At the end of each detecting/testing session, the Deus scored higher than any participating detector. Nothing to say about some detectors that could not locate a single non-ferrous target while the Deus was "picking up" desirable targets left and right.
All Finds Made with XP Deus at Test Site Previously "Vacuumed"
with Multi-Frequency Metal Detectors
After having analyzed the test results and the Deus' performance, I came to the following conclusion: the Deus ended an era of the "champion" all-purpose land metal detectors that had been "ruling" the market within past 10 years. The Deus rightfully set a new standard for an all-purpose land metal detector of the 21st century, and it does not seem there will be an adequate metal detector that will match or surpass the Deus in performance in near future.
To a beginner user of the Deus searching for hammered coins, a small disadvantage may manifest itself when he/she hits the spot infested with modern trash. Numerous non-ferrous junk targets of low conductivity could not be rejected as they "share" the same segment with hammered coins on the Discrimination scale, and, therefore, have to be dug up. At first, the novice's time efficiency at this spot drop to zero, and one could either get exhausted recovering the junk targets or just leave the spot.
But when one learns and begins to recognize subtle differences in the Deus audio responses to the non-ferrous junk targets and hammered coins within the same conductivity range, the Deus user's time efficiency surpasses the time efficiency of an operator of the most advanced multi-frequency metal detector. Yes, the multi-frequency metal detector with a 2-Dimensional Discrimination scale can ignore the unwanted targets and still pick up the hammies, but not all of them if a metal detecting site is littered with iron nails! Even if used with a small search coil, such a detector loses to the XP Deus in coin finds big time due to low Reactivity.
If a Deus user searches for "normal" coins of high conductivity at the trashed site, the Deus' advantage becomes even greater! This is why locations of the former settlements containing lots of junk are the Deus' "habitat". And there is no doubt about it! All you have to do is to understand the Deus' revolutionary concept and master a simple and effective search technique.
In my opinion, the wireless Deus is the only up-to-date metal detector in its class on the market today. What made it possible for the Deus to leave all the competitors behind? It is the Deus' flexibility in adjusting to any metal detecting conditions, its flawless stem/handle assembly design that had been only dreamt about prior to the Deus appearance, its ability to bring the old "hunted-out" sites back to life, and its sufficiency in satisfying all requirements imposed on today's detectorists by new metal detecting reality.
My Mom (at her age of 75!) is Fond of XP Deus
If you would like to follow me on Twitter, please do so:
You may want to visit my other pages with helpful info on the XP Deus metal detector and its accessories:
- XP Deus' Settings, Features and Modes Explained (v2.0, 3.0 and v3.2)
- XP Deus Air Test and Sergei's 100-Target VDI Chart for US Coins and Relics
- How To Decipher XP Deus' Ambiguous Audio Responses To Targets
- How To Double Up Your XP Deus
- Advantage in Fast-Switching Between XP Deus' Search Programs
- Practicality of XP Deus' Emergency Field Charger
- XP Deus' Features, Specifications and Other Users' Reviews
- My Review on DetectorPro Grey Ghost Headphones for XP Deus
You can find and compare Specifications, Features, Prices, Users' Reviews and Ratings - all helpful Information, for all metal detectors available on the market today at Metal Detector Reviews Main Page.