Useful Articles on Metal Detecting & Treasure Hunting
LINK DIRECTORY to My In-Depth Web Articles on Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting, Most Effective Metal Detectors, Search Programs and Techniques, and Everything Related to The Hobby
Created by Sergei Upstateny in ;
Here you can find links to my in-depth articles on anything related to metal detecting & treasure hunting.
From my articles, you can learn both the basics and advance metal detecting skills and techniques, learn about both natural and man-made factors that negatively affect any metal detector's performance. A few articles explain how to minimize adverse effects of such factors by using specific features available in the today's most advanced metal detectors.
This directory also includes articles on metal detecting research, coin and artefact cleaning, search coil types and discipline, and other subjects that are equally important to any serious metaldetectorist/treasure hunter. My articles will sure arm you with valuable knowledge, and then it will be up to you to put it in practice!
If you would like to point out any errors, ask me a question, express your opinion, suggest a new idea, or submit your own article, please do not hesitate to send me a message!
My Web Articles on Metal Detecting & Treasure Hunting:
- A Complete Guide To Metal Detecting Research - my 73-page titanic work illustrated with more than 250 photographs describes all basic forms of research, especially focusing on map research (analysis of both US and European Historic maps) and footwork. Everyone will benefit from "digging" into this "mother lode" of invaluable information!
- A Complete Guide to All Types of Metal Detecting Activities - this section includes detailed descriptions of all types of metal detecting and treasure hunting activities as well as all accessories, metal detectors and equipment required for conducting each type of search.
- How to Buy A Metal Detector - my helpful guide to a beginner purchasing his/her first metal detector: How-To, Do's and Don't's.
- How To Make Any Regular Land Metal Detector's Operation Wireless - this tutorial shows how to utilize a digital wireless headphone system to turn any regular land metal detector into a semi-wireless machine and metal detect without a "leash" or the hassle of cords.
- Metal Detector's Quiet Operation vs. Detecting Most Deep Targets - this article is included in the "Search Programs for Minelab FBS Metal Detectors" section - "Busting Myths about Sensitivity, Discrimination and Detection Depth".
- Magazine Article: "Exploring 'White Spots' In Winter" - my article on how to research and locate many productive metal detecting sites during the winter months.
- Magazine Article: "Searching The Obvious" - my article on metal detecting and relic hunting at the most accessible and easy to find metal detecting treasure sites.
- Glossary of Metal Detecting Terms
- Search Coil Secrets & Detecting Techniques - a wealth of in-depth info including everything about metal detector coils: their types and designs, sizes and their applications, advantages and disadvantages, pinpointing and detecting techniques, and many practical advices and useful tips.
- Getting Permission to Metal Detect - my illustrated Guide giving tips and describing simple rules for getting permission from the owner of the private property you intend to search.
- Conductive Order of Metals and Conductive Relationships - my article on conductive properties of metals and their relationships to the Visual Discrimination Identification numbers, practical tips.
- Halo Effect - my article explaining the phenomenon and disappearance of detected signals.
- How To Eliminate the Hot Rock Response - my article based on my personal experience with Minelab Explorer metal detector.
- Questionable Signals and How To Decipher Them - my article explaining all types of Questionable Signals, and how to recognize target responses of the "Coin + Nail" type with Minelab E-Trac and CTX 3030 metal detectors. Lots of useful information for users of metal detectors of other brands!
- Less Discrimination Lets You Find More - my article explaining 1) negative effects of "aggressive" Discrimination, and 2) cases when its use can be beneficial.
- Air Test (Bench Test) Various Targets with Your Metal Detector To Create the Most Efficient Search Program - this article explains air testing various targets commonly found in your locality, how to set up the Air Test, what valuable information can be gained from it, and how to use it for creating an effective search program of any type.
- Construct Your Test Garden - my article explaining the construction and importance of your own Test Garden.
- Metal Detector's Depth Penetration - my article explaining how to avoid reduction of your metal detector's operational depth range (detecting range) under real metal detecting conditions.
- Factors That Affect VDI Readings of Non-Ferrous Targets - this article explains why the VDI readings (conductivity values) of non-ferrous targets might appear lower than they are supposed to be on a display. Though this article is included into a section on features and modes of the XP Deus metal detector, information in this article is useful to owners of ALL advanced metal detectors on today's market.
- My Metal Detectors: Reviews & Operational Tips - my detailed reviews on metal detectors I currently use and have used since 1993: Garrett, White's, Tesoro, Minelab, TB Metal Detectors (Pulse Star II Pro), and XP Metal Detectors.
- How To Metal Detect & Treasure Hunt Around Cellar Holes Successfully - my illustrated article - a complete guide, based on my personal experience in searching the abandoned homesteads in the remote wooded areas of Upstate New York. Because universal rules of searching former homestead sites are described here, information in this article can be also extremely useful for those detectorists who live in areas that do not have cellar holes at the former homestead sites.
- Pinpointers and Electronic Probes for Metal Detecting - my illustrated article with general information and practical tips as well as features and specifications of the most popular pinpointer Garrett ProPointer.
- 1) My Review on XP Deus - my short review on XP Deus.
- 2) XPlained Deus' Settings, Features and Modes - PART I - my article explains ALL Deus' features and modes and how they interact with one another in the Deus' V2.0, v3.0 and subsequent firmware versions.
- 3) PART II - Practical Tips for Metal Detecting with XP Deus (will be posted in parts upon their completion):
How To Decipher XP Deus' Ambiguous Audio Responses To Targets - my article explains all types of questionable signals and how to decipher them using simple techniques and features of the XP Deus.
- 4) XP Deus Air Test and Sergei's 100-Target VDI Chart for US Coins and Relics - my article explains importance of air-testing both ferrous and non-ferrous targets with XP Deus, and includes my 100-Target VDI Chart. This chart provides Deus users with invaluable information - VDI values of common US targets, which is essential for creating the most efficient search programs.
- 5) How To Double Up Your XP Deus - Make Two Out of One! - my article on how to "double up" your XP Deus, what is required, and how to switch the Deus' headphones to their own search coil before detecting with the Deus and its "double" simultaneously.
- 6) Advantages in Fast-Switching Between XP Deus Search Programs - my article on how to fast switch between factory and your own pre-set programs "on the fly" during detecting session.
- 7) Practicality of XP Deus' Emergency Field Charger - my article on the XP Deus' accessory for which one may find good uses.
- 8) My Review on DetectorPro Grey Ghost Headphones for XP Deus - my in-depth review on the DetectorPro Grey Ghost wireless headphones designed for the XP Deus, which includes my field-test report, photographed reactions of XP Deus users on the Grey Ghost headphones, pros and cons, and my comparison of the wireless Grey Ghost headphones to the XP WS4 headset.
- How To Cope with Flawed Design of XP GoldMaxx Power - descriptions of flaws in the XP GoldMaxx Power's physical body design, and how some drawbacks can be fixed.
- My Field-Test Report on Minelab E-Trac - my report on the Minelab E-Trac's performance tested at the site which had been previously searched with other metal detectors and had a high concentration of iron square nails.
- My Search Programs for Minelab CTX 3030 & E-Trac
Program settings for:
- 1) detecting coins and non-ferrous relics at the sites of FORMER SETTLEMENTS - 3-Level "COINS" Search Program #1
- 2) detecting coins and non-ferrous artifacts in the FARM FIELDS - Search Program #2
- 3) hunting for RELICS & ARTIFACTS with Minelab CTX 3030 & E-Trac metal detectors - Search Program #3
- 4) hunting for SMALLEST HAMMERED SILVER COINS with Minelab CTX 3030 & E-Trac metal detectors - Search Program #4
- How To Use Minelab XChange 2 Application for EDITING CTX 3030's Discrimination Patterns & Tone ID Profiles - detailed and illustrated Tutorial
- My Search Program for Minelab Explorer XS, II and SE - program settings for detecting deep targets with Minelab Explorer detectors.
- My Search Program for White's XLT E-Series - program settings for effective metal detecting with White's XLT.
- Teknetics T2 - Review & Program Settings - a review and the program settings for various metal detecting conditions (submitted by a treasure hunter Silverman777).
- Body Reinforcement of Minelab Explorer, E-Trac and Safari - my illustrated article on how to keep your Minelab detector in one piece for a long while.
- Sealing Search Coil's Cover - my illustrated article on how to eliminate an unusual cause of false signals.
- How To Locate and Recover a Coin Cache in the Farm Field - my illustrated tutorial based on my personal cache hunting and treasure discovery experiences.
- Metal Detecting Hammered Wire Coins Section:
- 1) Brief Info on Early Russian Hammered Coins - "Wire Money"
- 2) Optimal Ground Surface Conditions for Detecting Tiny Hammereds
- 3) Search Coil Discipline & My Recovery Techniques for Retrieving Single Hammered Wire Coins
- 4) Wire-Money Hoard Hunting - Efficient Search & Recovery Techniques for Coin Cache Hunting in Plowed Fields
- 5) Photo Gallery of Early Russian Wire Money also includes some numismatic information.
- 6) How To Identify & Interpret Cyrillic Dates on Russian Coins of Peter I The Great - my Tutorial for coin collectors and beginners.
- 7) Method for Minting Silver Wire Coins - simple Technique for Coining Wire Money Remained Unchanged for 400 Years. (this article will be posted upon its completion sometime soon)
- 8) Identification of Silver Wire Hammered Coins, ca. 1462-1717 - my illustrated Tutorial. (this article will be posted upon its completion sometime soon)
- 9) Grading Silver Wire Hammered Coins - my illustrated Tutorial. (this article will be posted upon its completion sometime soon)
- How To Clean Tarnished Silver Coins by Electrochemical Reduction (Galvanic) Method - the most effective and easy-to-do cleaning method for removing tarnish from silver coins - Tutorial.
- How To Cure "Bronze Disease" on Copper-Base Alloyed Coins - my article on True & False Patinas of Copper, Bronze and Brass coins and How To Safe the coins "infected" with Bronze Disease from self-destruction.
- How To Straighten Bent Silver Hammered Coins Using Annealing Technique - a detailed article with practical and useful tips for successful annealing and straightening bent silver hammered coins at home.
- How To Straighten A Badly Crumpled Coin Without Special Tools - my short (3 pages) Tutorial on simplest technique for unbending a crumpled coin without annealing.
- Cleaning Coins with Electrolysis - the most detailed and illustrated 50-picture tutorial on the web!
- Removing Rust from Iron Artifacts with Electrolysis - the most detailed and illustrated 150-picture tutorial on the web!
- A Complete Guide To Cleaning & Preservation of Coins - the most detailed guide on the web, which describes many effective cleaning methods and includes a few practical tutorials and lots of useful tips!
- Coin Macro-Photography - my small article on how to make close-up pictures of your coin-finds without special photo equipment.
- How To Travel with a Metal Detector Abroad - tips on how to pack and keep your metal detector safe while traveling abroad by airplane.
- How to Pack Your Backpack - an article on the smartest way to get all the necessary gear into your backpack.
- How To Use a Compass (Kjetil Kjernsmo's Illustrated Tutorial) - a great tutorial on how not to get lost in the wilderness.
- Lyme Disease Prevention - an informative article on Lyme disease, its symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, prevention and control.
- WW2 Relic Hunting - a section with a number of articles on history of World War II, WW2 relics and related WW2 relic hunting activities, photo galleries of images of WW2 relic finds.
- Classification & Conductivities of Meteorites - an article describing types of meteorites, their conductivities and a method of their identification by a metal detector in details.
- Best Finds of Other Treasure Hunters Worldwide - this section contains compilations of images of best finds of treasure hunters worldwide. Lots of interesting stuff!
- Metaldetectorist's Code of Ethics - a full list of rules of conduct that any metaldetectorist should follow during her/his metal detecting activities.